D: I can’t believe you’re typing this on your phone.
A: I know – watch out for autocorrect fails.
D: Auto-what? A it’s bad enough you didn’t listen to your intuition and do this at lunch. Must you add insult to injury?
Anyway, this is supposed to be my first-of-the-month, Rome Construction Crew Update. I think, in light of the fact that I’m posting this in 3G, those updates and goals for the month shall be brief.
D: Can you actually manage brief?
A: With you? Not bloody likely! If you could refrain–
D: From being me?
A: I’d consider it a favor.
D: I suppose, under the circumstances–
A: Cheers, D. So, progress:
- Part 2, first draft, is complete, as is the first read-through. I have some structural edits to make, but it’s decent.
- Also have an outline for part 3 and wrote the first 500 words… The outline is on my google drive, and thus unavailable to me, but im pretty sure I haven’t trashed it.
A: No you’re not.
D: Who’s wasting 3G bandwidth now??
A: You don’t even know what that is – but good point.
- On a personal note, I’m doing better at the whole low-sugar, grain-free thing (paleo/primal), and resurrected my exercise regime. Weight is, for now, steady – higher, but steady.
- Garden is in and flourishing. Late spring / early summer sucked weather-wise, but the potatoes are practically gleeful.
D: Can potatoes even be–
D: Right – oh look, a blue box.
- Finally, I’m waiting for the Part 1 beta readers’ feedback, but I think each “Book” in the Out of Time (working title) series, will a self-contained series. It feels more appropriate to Book 1 anyway, and means interesting things for Books 2 & 3.
Goals for July
- Signed up for the July Camp (insert abbreviation jumble that means I’m writing 50k words in a month here). That will take care of Parts 2 and 3.
- Develop and prep food/recipe cleanup project, which I hope to debut by month-end. D will not feature.
- Start researching potential agents/markets. After much research, I know I haven’t the personal resources to self-publish in a way that would please my hidden perfectionist soul. Or impress enough people to at least make it pay for itself.
- Complete my beta reading assignment – it has a deadline, so it’s a given (gotta have a few of those, right?!).
- Set up all the delightful guest posts for my two-week child-free writing hermitage. All of you are fantastic. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
- Read a book – preferably a frivolous, delightful book. I’m open to suggestions.
- Also, I’m thinking of adding something along the lines of “The Story So Far” to this blog. It would be a road-map/synopsis of where I am in the Out of Time/Sean & Maureen journey and would introduce the players and the events a little better to give D and I a bit more context.
D:Make people feel a bit more welcome, perhaps? Help them understand the crazy universe that you reference willy-nilly as though we all had access to your head?
A: Says the character in my head.
D: Precisely. Are you done yet?
A: One more! I want to outline one longer piece of fiction and write two other short pieces that aren’t related to the Out of Time universe, and submit a piece I’ve been working on for the RCC.
D: Always have to have the last word, hm?
A: I learned from the Master, D.
Final last word (I promise): The time may be nigh (ok, in a year or so) for an adventure. If you could go anywhere, if things like Visas and Passports weren’t an issue, where would you go? How long would you stay? What would you do?